Thursday 5 May 2011

2011 Met Costume Institute Gala


The Met Ball was a tribute to Alexander McQueen this year. There were a number of lovely dresses but unexpectedly there were not very many keeping with the theme. Understandably, many of Alexander McQueen's dresses were on display in the exhibit but it was a bit of a disappointment still. Nonetheless, here are some of my favourites - some of which are theme appropriate whereas others were just plain gorgeous.



Christina Ricci in Zac Posen
Zac Posen created this tribute to McQueen and it is quite something. I love the dark, twisted and gothic quality of it. I have to admit I was surprised that Christina Ricci was the one to show up in it but kudos to her. It is undeniably a showstopper and one of the highlights of the night. 




Liu Wen in Alexander McQueen
Stunning. It fits her perfectly and although it's understated, I love it. (Constance Jablonski looked great too but not at the top of my list for the night.)

Diane Kruger in Jason Wu
Diana was coiffed and composed with some exposed leg through the slit adding extra oomph. It's classy and relatively simple but it works so well for her. 

Liv Tyler in Givenchy
I love this modified version of the Givenchy Haute Couture dress with additional feathers to add modesty up top. Liv kept everything else relatively simple but I do wish she could have put a bit more effort into her hair. Even if she wanted to wear her hair down she could have straightened it at least. As it was, it looked as if she completely overlooked styling her hair.

Daphne Guinness in Alexander McQueen
She is a fashion icon in every way and I absolutely love her. Clearly, I do not need to elaborate - she pulled this off brilliantly. Prior to the gala, she also took to the window display at Barney's to get dressed


Pictures from Gettyimages (via JustJared and RedCarpetFashionAwards); Modelcandids.com and Vogue

0 comments:

Post a Comment